Thursday, September 4, 2008

Lyle McDonald Attends a COR Seminar

- Read His Review

Charlie Francis Seminar Review: Layton, Utah 2008

March 27th, 2008

As I’ve mentioned in previous posts, I’m currently living in Salt Lake City, Utah training at the Utah Olympic Oval as a long-track speedskater. So imagine my surprise when I found out that Charlie Francis (along with Canadian strength coach Derek Hansen) were giving a seminar at a new training facility up in Layton, Utah (about 25 minutes north of where I live).

Now, I’ve been influenced heavily by Charlie, I read his book Speed Trap annually (and never fail to learn something new), his Charlie Francis Training System, outlining his system of sprint training also provides many many bits of useful information. Given that I’m currently in a sport that has some sprint component, I couldn’t miss it. And given that my coach has essentially developed a system of training similar to Francis’ but applied to speed skating, I took him with me.



The Facility
The seminar was held at CorPerformance in Layton, Utah. This is a brand spanking new facility dedicated to training athletes. And it’s just beyond amazing. The owner, Mike Doyle, clearly has a massive passion for training and has installed just about every training tool you can imagine to train athletes.

Full Olympic sets (including a beautiful Eleiko training set), powerlifting equipment (including boards, bands, boxes, etc), kettlebells, thick bars, punching mitts, some choice piece of selectorized equipment, a reverse hyper, two glute-ham raises, on and on it goes. He has a 30m track along with some turf for sprinting/running drills, plyo balls and rebounders; if it’s useful for training he’s either got it or intends to get it (Tendo unit).

It’s a training geek’s wet dream and just a flat out amazing facility. If you’re in the Utah area and need training for sport, contact Mike or Kim. They were amazing hosts and snacks were available all weekend long, along with a catered lunch on Saturday during the break. I ate a lot of cookies. . .

Read the Blog

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/blog/2008/03/27/charlie-francis-seminar-review-layton-utah-2008/

No comments: